Thursday, July 8, 2010

Bicycle riding

We're getting ready for our mid-July MS150 ride! This 150 mile bike ride is a fundraiser for multiple sclerosis and my husband first got involved about 11 years ago. Since then, both of our kids have ridden a couple of times and this will be my second year. All together, the family has raised about $15,000.

My husband began participating in this ride mostly because he loves to ride his bike. But once he started fundraising, we discovered how many of our friends are affected by MS, either directly or indirectly. We have met some very courageous individuals on these rides and are humbled to be a small part of an amazing effort of good will and generosity. The MS150 experience is tremendously uplifting - indeed a miraculous event (more about miracles some other day).

However, that doesn't change the fact that bike riding is not exactly pure bliss. It seems to me that long bike rides are among those things that are much more fun BEFORE and AFTER you do them. During the ride... not so much. When the boredom (usually a bigger problem than fatigue) sets in, I often wonder whose stupid idea this was, anyway. I impatiently wish the ride were over, lamenting my sore butt, my aching legs, my tingling hands. But the minute we actually reach our destination, I look back fondly on every minute and look forward to the next time with great anticipation and enthusiasm.



On a recent training ride for the MS 150, I was reminded of my first grade reader and a chapter about bike riding. If I may paraphrase:

Chapter 1: Deb
Deb rides.
See Deb ride!
Ride Deb, ride!

Chapter 2: Deb's thighs
Thighs burn.
Feel thighs burn!
Burn thighs, burn!

(The actual protagonist was Tom)

So, when is the next ride?

No comments:

Post a Comment